Thursday, November 22, 2007

Hrrisonville High School

The Harrisonville Wildcats are heading to St. Louis for the 5th straight year. They have won 3 of the last 4 state titles at this point. They have won 40 straight games. This is a 3A class school and the only game they have lost in the last 5 years was the first game in the 2005 season, to a 5A school. That is right, a 5A school, is their only loss in the last 5 seasons. I think it is safe to say we will give them that one, but then again it would be 55 straight games. I forgive you for the one loss.

This year the Wildcats will be facing a team that they know and know all to well. In the first meeting in 2004 the Cats was up on them by 25 points and then the MCIDS Rams made a comeback and ended up winning in triple overtime. I sat and watched this game and thought to myself, what the hell is going on here. In high school football in Missouri in overtime, each team gets the ball at the 20 and they get their chance to score. Then the opposing team gets their chance from the 20 also. If the score is still tied we keep playing until it is broken. In 2004 both teams scored then in the 3rd overtime MCIDS scores a field goal. The Cats march in closer and on 4th down they decide to go for the win and not the for sure 3 points to tie the game. I am sitting their thinking, what the hell are you doing for christs sakes. I could not believe what I was watching. The next year in 2005 we get the same team, and this time coach Bouchard, decides that there is no way in hell that there will be a repeat. The Cats hold them to under 100 total yards in 4 quarters. A new state record. The Cats kept them out of the end zone and no field goals at all. It was 42 - 0 if my memory serves me right. A complete domination in all aspects of the game. The class 3A giants or juggernauts, showed the state what a powerhouse is and what they are made of. I sat in amazement watching the game.

So this year we are meeting the same team, this is 3 times in the last 4 years. This game will also be on Saturday, the same as the big game in KC. I think I have mentioned that one it is the KU, MU game. I have a complete day of some damn exciting games to listen and watch. I am almost beside myself. Oh hell, back to the Cats. I have said and I think it is true in every aspect. I don't think that anyone in this class can beat the boys. As I watch the cats play I see what is happening, the Cats are wearing the other teams down. They can not keep up for 4 quarters. Oh, they give it a hell of a try and keep their heads up for most of the game and then it happens. The Cats take off and leave them all trying to get a glimpse of them through the dust that is the Harrisonville Wildcats. In the semi final game against another undefeated team it was close in the first half and then it happened. 21-15 at the break and then in the 3rd quarter the Cats took the lead and never really looked back. The Cats had a few slips in this one and fumbled a pass that was thrown across the middle and the ball came out. Giving the Eagles another chance. Cats holding them to 0 points then Harrisonville gets the ball back only to fumble again. and the Eagles got into the end zone. Then, it was all over but the crying, so to speak.

So now they are off the meet the team that beat them 3 years ago. I read an article in the St Louis dot com page that had coach Bouchard as quoted saying, he remembers that game and it sticks in his crawl. I think that if the Cats have the chance they will put them away quick this year again. I see them pulling out all strings and trying to get ahead quick and stay ahead and not to look back. I see Sr. Ransburg having a huge day o the ground and through the air. I see receivers making catches that they might have dropped in other circumstances. I see it this way for this next reason. You see this has to be one of the best coaches in the state, and we have him. Coach Bouchard continues to coach until the gun is sounded at the end of the 4th quarter. He is still coaching and teaching with 5 seconds left on the board. Still getting the attention of his players and making sure he hears them, he does not stand for second best. He settles for what his player is capable of and no less. To that I take my hat off to you coach.

Good Luck Cats and I hope to see you come home with your state champs shirts on and smile all around. I will be rooting from the comfort of my house listening online or the radio. I can not even think about leaving and missing the other game.


Good Luck and be safe on your journey.

1 Showed Their cohones:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.